Business Owners – what are your biggest concerns in our current times? I suspect that finding qualified candidates for job openings ranks high in those concerns.
Did you know that there is a concerted effort between the State of California, Economic Partnerships, Community Colleges, Universities and local School Districts to begin to help prepare students for work?
The Foothill Consortium Advisory Board is one of those that is active in helping groom students to be the perfect candidate. The purpose is to advance the region’s workforce by:
· Growing high school students within career academies to address the high-wage, high-skill, high-need workforce gaps
· Creating a forum for employers, educators, workforce and economic professionals to support the development of our future workforce
· Making it easy for employers to directly start shaping their future workforce
There are four school districts participating in this consortium by creating Learning Academies
· Charter Oak
There are four Regional Growth Industries the Academies are focused on
· Biotech and Life Sciences
· Tourism and Hospitality
The Academies offer the opportunity to connect all the core classes a student is required to take within the framework of their selected focus. So, when they get an English or Math assignment, it is grounded in the focus area of the Academy.
I’m sure you’re thinking – how what is required of me? Time. Our Chairwoman of the Board Tina Carey is a member of the Foothill Consortium Advisory Board and relayed that:
· "At this point in time, I’ve been to two sessions totaling a total of three hours of my time.
· I have been able to observe students in two academies in Monrovia High School – one focused on IT and one on Visual Arts
· I have been able to provide input as to how my company has used an intern in the Visual Arts Field
· I will have the opportunity to help define what are the key core competencies employees need to enter my workforce"
So, if this sounds like an opportunity for your business to use your time to help define and create our future workforce, this is a great match.
Feel free to contact the Duarte Chamber and we’ll get you connected J
Duarte Chamber of Commerce
1735 Huntington Drive
Duarte, CA 91010
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 1438
Duarte, CA 91009-4438
Would you like a membership proposal? Just text to 72727 the word "DuarteProposal" (one word).